Saturday, June 20, 2009

North Carolina Stroke Association's Cycle for Life


I am going to participate in the North Carolina Stroke Association's Cycle for Life event on Saturday, October 3, 2009, at the Hanover Park Vineyard, Yadkinville, NC. I am one of the "letter writers" for the North Carolina Stroke Association for this event. Here is the letter I'm sending out to family, friends, and business associates. If you want to help out, you can too. Just send a check to North Carolina Stroke Association at P.O. Box 571002, Winston-Salem, NC, 27157-1002, and put my name in the memo line. You can also come out and cycle or enjoy a day at the winery, have lunch, and do a 1-mile walk around the grounds.


Dear...

I would like to thank all of my family and friends who have supported me in my journey these last 15 months. The outpouring of love and support I have received means a lot to me, as did the cards, phone calls, emails, discussions, and hugs. I thank you all.

Most of you know about my stroke, my recovery, and my mission to help others through the recovery process. One good way to do that is through stroke prevention. If you don’t have a stroke, you don’t have to recover from it. Stroke prevention is exactly what The North Carolina Stroke Association does through their community grant programs.

In talking with people since I had my stroke, I’ve realized how prevalent stroke is. Everyone I talk to knows someone whose life has been affected by stroke. I’m sure you do, too. It not only changes the lives of the affected individuals, but families as well.

I’ve worked hard to regain my abilities. I was able to get back on my bike and ride 10 months after my stroke. Because I can, I’m going to ride my bike to help others. So, on Saturday, October 3, 2009, I’m going to participate in The North Carolina Stroke Association’s 6th Annual “Cycle for Life 2009” bike tour to raise awareness and money for their stroke-prevention efforts. Here’s where you come in. I’m asking for your financial support as I ride.

Many of you know how much I loved running and cycling prior to the stroke. It will be my great pleasure to show that it is possible to make physical progress through perseverance. I will be one of only four riders who have experienced a stroke.

With your support, we can save thousands of lives by preventing stroke. Please help me to make this a reality. You may make your check payable to The North Carolina Stroke Association and mail it in the self-addressed envelope. Your contribution supports The North Carolina Stroke Association’s Grant Program. In 2008, this program awarded $40,000 in grants to rural hospitals to implement stroke-prevention programs. It is a 501(c)3, so your contribution is fully tax-deductible.

I hope you are able to help this worthy cause. And, if you want to enjoy a beautiful autumn day at a North Carolina winery, come on out to Hanover Park Vineyard and cheer on the riders.

Sincerely,

Ralph Preston


P.S. If you want to find out more about Cycle for Life 2009, visit North Carolina Stroke Association Click it, it's a hyperlink. Or, Cycle for Life 2008

On-line registration will be avaliable July 1st
Cycle for Life...2009 bike tour registration brochure
Cycle for Life...2009 Team registration form
Cue sheets and Maps for: 65 mile course, 40 Mile course, 24 Mile course, 7.5 Mile course





No comments:

Post a Comment