Friday, April 16, 2010

Remarkable

When I did things like climb to the top of a mountain 4 months into recovery, get back on my bicycle at 10 months, or get full range of motion back in my arm, people told me what I had done was "remarkable". I politely thanked them, but never felt that way myself. I thought about it a lot. Then, I started talking to other people who had done things that I considered "remarkable" in their recovery or in dealing with what life throws at us. None of them regarded what they did as "remarkable". One cancer survivor said, "What was I supposed to do, lay down and die?" I found this interesting and thought about it more. Maybe the fact that no one who does "remarkable" things considers them to be "remarkable" is the key to being able to do them. Maybe it all comes back to attitude, yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment